Formal requirements for operating an online pharmacy in Lithuania
Unlike in some countries, Lithuania does not foresee any requirements that the owner of a pharmacy needs to be a person holding a qualification as pharmacist. Furthermore, also ownership of multiple pharmacies by one pharmacist is possible. This applies, as well, to online pharmacies. There are no requirements either that shareholders of the legal entity operating an online pharmacy in Lithuania must be a natural person.
A legal person registered in Lithuania or a branch, or a branch of a foreign legal person registered in Lithuania may operate an online pharmacy if they meet the following requirements:
1. They hold a pharmacy licence.
2. They employ a head of pharmaceutical activity by an employment contract.
3. They employ sufficient pharmaceutically qualified personnel.
4. They have suitable premises and equipment.
5. They comply with the Good Distribution Practice of medicinal products for human use.
The State Medicines Control Service of Lithuania must be notified at least 14 working days in advance of a planned trade under an online pharmacy and the specific pharmacy shops participating. This is to be done by submitting a notification in the form prescribed by the Minister of Health of Lithuania.